This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1406 / 53°8'26"N
Longitude: -4.2774 / 4°16'38"W
OS Eastings: 247760
OS Northings: 362808
OS Grid: SH477628
Mapcode National: GBR 5H.65DY
Mapcode Global: WH43F.8BC5
Entry Name: ,8 High Street,Walled town,Caernarfon,
Listing Date: 3 May 2002
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26543
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the junction of High Street and Shirehall Street.
Locality: Walled town
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the early C19 and shown on the 1834 town map.
Belongs to a group of 6-8 High Street.
A pair of late Georgian houses of coursed rubble stone with graded slate roof and end stacks rebuilt in brick. 3 storeys, each a single window range together forming a near-symmetrical pair. Paired central doorways have replaced panelled doors with radial-glazed overlights. Flanking windows are 16-pane hornless sashes to right, paired 8-pane horned sashes to left, hornless sashes of 12 and 9-panes aligned in first and second storeys. All openings have flat arched stone voussoir heads.
The L gable end of No 8 is rendered where an attached house has been taken down, and has an attached coped stone wall flanking a gateway to a car park behind. At the rear are doorways with shallow segmental heads to the inner sides, each with replaced boarded doors. No 6 is otherwise blank at the back. No 8 has inserted 4-pane sash windows in each storey.
Listed for its good early C19 Georgian character and for its contribution to the historic integrity of the walled town.
Other nearby listed buildings