This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1375 / 53°8'14"N
Longitude: -4.2725 / 4°16'21"W
OS Eastings: 248078
OS Northings: 362448
OS Grid: SH480624
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.66MK
Mapcode Global: WH43F.BDQL
Entry Name: Assembly shop at former Union Ironworks
Listing Date: 3 May 2002
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26548
Building Class: Industrial
Location: On Slate Quay and to the E of the former office and showroom.
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably erected in the late C19 and shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. The building originally had a 2-span hipped roof. The Union Ironworks was founded by Owen Thomas in the early 1840s, who was joined by J.P. de Winton in partnership in 1854. The Thomas and de Winton families remained in control until 1892, after which it had a succession of owners before closure in 1902. As a foundry and engineering works it specialised in supplying marine engines and boilers, mainly to Merseyside shipbuilders, and also supplied machinery to the N Wales slate industry. By the second decade of the C20 the premises was occupied by the Kiwi Engineering Works.
Single-storey, square in plan, 5-bay brick workshop with replaced flat roof behind a coped parapet partly rebuilt. The wider central bay has a doorway with large radial-glazed overlight. Outer bays have round-headed windows recessed within round-headed bays with bullnose dressings and have small-pane iron-framed glazing. The R end wall has a single-storey added lean-to, above which are 5 windows grouped 3 2, set within arched bays similar to the front. The L end wall is similar, with an upper tier of windows grouped 2 3. At ground level are 2 blocked inserted wide cambered openings brick voussoirs on iron plates to the soffit. These originally opened to attached ironworks buildings that have been demolished.
A lower brick gabled rear wing has a corrugated asbestos-cement roof.
Listed, notwithstanding loss of its original roof, as a C19 industrial building retaining some original character, and with the adjacent office as representing a rare-surviving small urban foundry which contributed strongly to the industrial history of N Wales. It has additional historical importance representing former industries on Slate Quay.
Other nearby listed buildings