This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1385 / 53°8'18"N
Longitude: -4.2734 / 4°16'24"W
OS Eastings: 248024
OS Northings: 362564
OS Grid: SH480625
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.66DL
Mapcode Global: WH43F.BC9S
Entry Name: ,15 Segontium Terrace, including forecourt railings,Caernarfon,Caernarfon,
Listing Date: 31 March 1983
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26553
Building Class: Domestic
Location: A terraced house overlooking Slate Quay.
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1828 and first shown on the 1834 town map.
Belongs to a group of 11-19 Segontium Terrace.
A late Georgian terrace of nine 3-storey 2-bay houses with slate roofs and brick or roughcast stacks to the R. Entrances are in the L-hand bay, reached up steps. In front of the houses are original iron railings on dwarf walls, with pointed finials and cone finials to the stanchions. Gates are replaced. Nos 15-19 have a larger plan than Nos 11-14 and project forward in the rear elevation. They also retain original architraves in the front elevation while Nos 11-14 have late C19 detail to the front.
Walls of renewed render. A half-lit panelled door is beneath an original radial-glazed fanlight, and inside a lately added porch. Windows are in original moulded architraves, which have keystones in the lower and middle storeys. In the lower storey is an Edwardian segmental-headed casement beneath a curved transom and coloured glass overlight. The middle storey has French doors under similar coloured glass overlights, opening to a cast iron balcony on brackets. In the upper storey is a blind window L and 4-pane sash window to the R.
11-19 Segontium Terrace is listed as an ambitious urban development prominently sited above Slate Quay. Notwithstanding some loss of its original unified design, the terrace contributes to the strong Georgian tradition in Caernarfon and documents the growing prosperity of the town in the early C19 in the wake of the development of Caernarfon as a major N Wales port. No 15 retains some original detail.
Other nearby listed buildings