This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1395 / 53°8'22"N
Longitude: -4.2731 / 4°16'23"W
OS Eastings: 248045
OS Northings: 362669
OS Grid: SH480626
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.66GG
Mapcode Global: WH43F.BCF2
Entry Name: Roberts & Owen Jewellers
Listing Date: 3 May 2002
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26575
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Set in a row of frontages near the W end of the street.
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
A probably second quarter C19 building to which the present shop front was added in the third quarter of the C19 and shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey. It was occupied by its present owners, Roberts & Owen, by 1895, but in 1883 was occupied by John Hughes & Co, also a watch and clock maker.
A 2-bay 3-storey shop and house of scribed roughcast front with stressed quoins, slate roof and brick stack to the L. The shop front is framed by narrow pilasters with vertical ribs, and wooden fascia with end brackets. A central recessed doorway has a half-lit panelled door with tracery to the glazing, and a mosaic threshold decorated with the name of the firm. A former doorway to the L side has been replaced by plate glass with stallboard. The original plate glass shop windows have turned mahogany posts, over polished granite stallboards and incorporate convex glass curving towards the doorway. The upper storeys have 12-pane hornless sash windows (9 to second floor).
Listed as a well-detailed and well-preserved C19 commercial building with a fine late C19 shop front, and for its contribution to the historic townscape.
Other nearby listed buildings