This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1402 / 53°8'24"N
Longitude: -4.2718 / 4°16'18"W
OS Eastings: 248136
OS Northings: 362747
OS Grid: SH481627
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.60T5
Mapcode Global: WH43F.CB1J
Entry Name: Schoolmaster's house at former British School
Listing Date: 3 May 2002
Last Amended: 3 May 2002
Source ID: 26619
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Reached up steps above the street and on the S side of the former school (now Caernarfon Youth and Community Centre).
Built-Up Area: Caernarfon
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
A schoolmasters' house probably contemporary with the school, a British School built in 1856 by John Lloyd, architect of Caernarfon. The house is shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey 3-window house of rubble stone with freestone dressings and quoins, and renewed slate roof with coursed stone end stacks. Windows were all boarded up at the time of inspection. The 3-window front has a central doorway with a fielded-panel door recessed in a round-headed arch with keystone. An asymmetrical accent is provided by a gable over the L-hand window. The R gable end has a small window inserted upper R with brick jambs. A gabled rear wing has a lower ridge line and end coursed-stone stack.
Listed as an integral component of the British school, and as such is part of a rare well-preserved mid C19 school complex.
Other nearby listed buildings