History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Convent

A Grade II Listed Building in Plasnewydd, Cardiff

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.486 / 51°29'9"N

Longitude: -3.1684 / 3°10'6"W

OS Eastings: 318970

OS Northings: 176987

OS Grid: ST189769

Mapcode National: GBR KLK.J8

Mapcode Global: VH6F7.1XC6

Entry Name: The Old Convent

Listing Date: 24 May 2002

Last Amended: 24 May 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26655

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the E end of The Walk facing East Grove.

County: Cardiff

Town: Cardiff

Community: Plasnewydd

Community: Plasnewydd

Locality: Tredegarville

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cardiff

History

A convent built in the final quarter of the C19 for the Rosminian Sisters of Providence, who established the nearby Heathfield House school in 1878, subsequently known as Our Lady's Convent School. The school closed in 1997 when the Order left the convent.

Exterior

A 3-storey 3-bay late Victorian classical house. The lower storey is rusticated ashlar, and above a billeted cornice, the upper storeys are coursed rock-faced Pennant sandstone with lighter ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. A hipped slate roof has a projecting eaves on corbels and plain cornice. The R side has 2 ashlar stacks, the L side a single stack. Windows are mainly 2-pane sashes. The central doorway has 2 pairs of Corinthian columns supporting the entablature, and a half-glazed door with plain overlight. Above it is a keyed segmental window in an architrave with a segmental pediment on consoles, with relief-moulded tympanum. The outer bays have 2-storey canted bay windows, which have Corinthian pilasters at the angles in the lower storey. The windows have segmental-headed lights with keystones and the window lower L retains the stained glass window of a former chapel. Both bays have an open balustraded parapet. The upper storey has 5 windows in eared architraves with key stones, comprising a 2-pane sash window to the centre, and cross windows R and L.

The L side wall is of Pennant sandstone with rusticated quoins. It has openings offset to the L side, comprising 2 segmental-headed sash windows in the lower and middle storeys, separated by an ashlar band, a triple sash window in the upper storey with segmental-headed lights. A rear wing is lower. A YMCA building is attached to the R side (formerly part of Our Lady's Convent School).

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for architectural interest as a well-detailed classical house that makes an important contribution to the historic character of Tredegarville conservation area. Historic interest for association with other Catholic establishments in the neighbourhood, especially St Peter's Church.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.