This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4852 / 51°29'6"N
Longitude: -3.1685 / 3°10'6"W
OS Eastings: 318959
OS Northings: 176892
OS Grid: ST189768
Mapcode National: GBR KLK.HK
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.1X9V
Entry Name: Coleg Glan Hafren
Listing Date: 24 May 2002
Last Amended: 24 May 2002
Source ID: 26657
Building Class: Education
Location: Set back from the street behind dwarf walls with square piers to main and side gates. Stone steps with plain railings lead up to the main entrance.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1897-1900 as the Cardiff Intermediate School for Girls, by George Thomas, architect. A SE wing facing The Parade was added in similar style to the original building in the second quarter of the C20 and is first shown on the 1941 Ordnance Survey. It was built on the site of an earlier villa shown on the 1901 Ordnance Survey. The rear of the SE wing was modified in 1955 (date on rainwater heads).
A large 3-storey school with attics and basement, comprising a main N-S range with the main entrance at its S end, flanked by a short SW wing and an added longer SE wing, these 3 components comprising the entrance front. At the N end of the main range is a NW wing and a lower single-storey assembly hall on the NE side. From the end of the assembly hall is a single-storey N-S link to No 28 The Parade (which was part of the original school) and also attached to the SE wing.
The asymmetrical front elevation is in a free Jacobean style of Portland stone ashlar with bands of red Hollington stone and slate roof behind coped gables on moulded kneelers, with brick stack L of centre. Deep moulded cornices are between storeys, with a moulded eaves cornice. The entrance is within an advanced double bay under a shaped gable with scrolled kneelers. The 3-bay SW wing is to the L, which with the gabled entrance bay comprised the original front, and added 6-bay SE wing to the R.
In the entrance bay is a doorway to the R and window to the L. Both have round-headed openings with keystone, half-round Ionic pilasters and spandrels with scrolled pediments. Double fielded-panel doors on the R have a radial overlight. The window to its L has fixed glazing similar to the doorway overlight. Above the lower-storey openings is a frieze of relief foliage with blank oval panels, framed by scrollwork and with 1898 in relief to the centre. Cross windows in the middle storey have moulded architraves with scrolled wings. A heraldic cartouche is between the windows. In the upper storey is a 5-light stepped window of which the 3 central lights have round heads above a transom, above which is elaborate relief cresting.
The outer wings have basements of coursed rock-faced stone with segmental-headed windows and small-pane glazing. The main storeys have cross windows, but without mullions in the upper storey, in moulded architraves that are enriched by relief strapwork above the ground-floor windows in the SW wing. The windows incorporate small-pane casements and pivoting lights. A 2-light roof dormer under a segmental pediment is to the SW wing, while the SE wing has 3 roof dormers with flat roofs.
The side and rear elevations are of brick. The R gable end of the SE wing has added escape stairs. The L gable end of the SW wing has Portland stone banding and 2-light mullioned attic opening. The rear of the SW wing is 2-window with small-pane sashes below hopper lights and a pilaster between the windows. The W side wall of the main N-S range is a 6-window elevation with similar windows and pilasters, with stair windows set back from the R end. To the L (N) of the stair windows the elevation is higher. The NW wing has a 3-window S elevation and 4-window N elevation with pale stone sill bands. The N elevation has windows under segmental heads comprising sashes with hopper lights in wooden mullions and transoms in the lower 2 storeys and casements below the eaves in the upper storey. Stair windows are set at a different level to the L side, R of which are narrow windows in the lower 2 storeys and 3-light upper storey window. To the R of centre is an advanced gabled bay with plain pilasters, cross windows in the lower 2 storeys and 3-light window in the upper storey under an elliptical head and carried above the boarded eaves under a gable. Similar cross windows with 3-light upper storey window are on the R side. Set back on the L side is the N end of the N-S range, with replaced double doors and overlight, cross window in the middle storey and 3-light upper-storey window.
The 5-bay assembly hall projects forward on the L (E) side and is of brick with pale stone bands and moulded eaves cornice, on a high rock-faced plinth with slightly battered clasping buttresses. In the N elevation the plinth has double panelled doors to the centre. Above, 4 bays have small-pane 4-light windows incorporating round tracery panels under segmental heads with fluted keystones. The 5th bay to the R has pilasters and is carried up above the eaves under a segmental pediment with finial. It has a 4-light window set at a higher level than the remaining windows as it lights the internal gallery. Below it is a similar 4-light window but with simpler tracery. A wide flat-roofed roof dormer is to the centre. In the E gable end are pilasters to the angles and framing the central window, each crowned by a segmental pediment, and a deep moulded stone cornice continuous with the eaves of the side walls. In the centre is a 6-light window with round-headed lights and 2 transoms, flanked by 2-light windows with round-headed lights, under pediments. Within a Dutch gable with open segmental pediment is a 2-light window with round-headed light and relief cresting above. The plain S side of the hall has an added common room.
The 4-window N elevation of the SE wing has small-pane windows incorporating casements and pivoting lights under concrete lintels. Rainwater heads are dated 1955. Two flat roof dormers are to the centre. On the R side is a similar 4-window projection built against the E side of the main N-S range. It has 3 flat roof dormers. The linking wing between assembly hall and SE wing has a brick wall facing W, but of rock-faced stone in the E elevation facing the garden of No 28. It has 5 casement windows and 2 basement windows lower R, with a doorway on the L side. The window L of centre has a segmental gable above the eaves.
Open-well stairs in the SW and NW wing have simple iron balusters and wooden hand rails. The well-detailed assembly hall has a 5-bay roof, which has tie-beams on corbelled brackets, crown and queen posts, with ceiling boarded at collar beam level. The walls are panelled with fluted pilasters below sill level. The S wall has blind arches corresponding to the N windows. A gallery with panelled front is at the W end.
Listed for architectural interest of its distinctive and well-detailed front, and well-detailed assembly hall, and for its major contribution to the historic character of Tredegarville.
Other nearby listed buildings