This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4853 / 51°29'7"N
Longitude: -3.17 / 3°10'12"W
OS Eastings: 318855
OS Northings: 176910
OS Grid: ST188769
Mapcode National: GBR KLK.4J
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.0XHR
Entry Name: Megalithic folly at James Howell House
Listing Date: 24 May 2002
Last Amended: 24 May 2002
Source ID: 26663
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: In the forecourt of the house, set behind railings to the street. James Howell House is at the corner of the junction with West Grove.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
James Howell House was built by James Howell (1835-1909), master draper and founder of one of Cardiff principal department stores. In 1896 he sold the house to the Corporation of Cardiff for use as a Judges Lodging. In 1918 the house was extended and converted to the Prince of Wales Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldiers. To mark the opening of the hospital, the cromlech was erected by Sir John Lynn-Thomas, a surgeon at the hospital. It is a copy in Radyr stone of the prehistoric cromlech at St Lythans near Dyffryn House. The hospital closed in 1977 and the house was converted to flats by the Family Housing Association.
Folly of Radyr stone comprising 3 upright slabs enclosing 3 sides of a chamber and covered by a single capstone.
Listed as an exceptional megalithic folly in an urban setting, and for its social-historical interest commemorating the former Prince of Wales Hospital.
Other nearby listed buildings