History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cardiff Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Riverside, Cardiff

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.481 / 51°28'51"N

Longitude: -3.1857 / 3°11'8"W

OS Eastings: 317758

OS Northings: 176453

OS Grid: ST177764

Mapcode National: GBR KGM.N1

Mapcode Global: VH6FD.Q1QG

Entry Name: Cardiff Bridge

Listing Date: 24 May 2002

Last Amended: 24 May 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26689

Building Class: Transport

Location: This bridge forms the main exit from the historic city of Cardiff to the west and is situated about 200m west of Cardiff Castle.

County: Cardiff

Town: Cardiff

Community: Castle (Castell)

Community: Riverside

Locality: City Centre

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cardiff

History

This bridge is very largely of 1930-1 but does incorporate the piers of the previous bridge erected in 1859 and widened in 1877. This is close to the historic site for Cardiff Bridge, first Roman, and then medieval. Previous to 1796 the bridge was about 100m north and connected straight through to the Westgate of the city. When the gate was demolished in 1781 it was felt that traffic circulation would be improved by moving the crossing to the south and another stone bridge was built just to the north of the present bridge in 1796. This was still narrow and later had footpaths corbelled out on either side. It was replaced in 1859 but parts of it survived until 1891. The 1859 bridge had something of the appearance of the present bridge, but had iron lattice railings. This bridge was widened in 1877 and almost completely replaced by the present bridge in 1930-1.

Exterior

Reinforced concrete arches on rusticated stone piers and with Portland stone balustrades and decoration. Four elliptically faced arches with projecting cutwaters rising as piers to support a deep cornice and an open balustrade with five panels to each arch. Above each pier is a square obelisk of Cenotaph type, these once carried bronze flambeaux. Cast bronze inscription at the west end, 'Cardiff Bridge opened 1931. George Whitaker City Engineer. J. M. Beresford Contractor'. The soffit of each arch is ribbed reinforced concrete above the stonework. This latter shows clear evidence of widening from the original of 1859.
This bridge is also in Castle Community.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good and unaltered example of a pre-WWII reinforced concrete bridge and for its historic interest as Cardiff Bridge, which, although resited, has links with the original Roman and medieval bridge and which retains part of the structure of the bridge of 1859.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.