This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6815 / 51°40'53"N
Longitude: -3.1952 / 3°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 317461
OS Northings: 198760
OS Grid: ST174987
Mapcode National: GBR HX.590F
Mapcode Global: VH6D7.KZNT
Entry Name: Upper terrace revetment and steps in garden to S of Maes Manor
Listing Date: 31 May 2002
Last Amended: 31 May 2002
Source ID: 26702
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: In the formal garden on the S side of the house.
Community: Blackwood (Coed Duon)
Locality: Maes Manor
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Originally known as Maesruddud, Maes Manor was built in 1900 as an addition to an earlier house and extended in 1907 when the original house was demolished. The second phase was added for L. Brewer Williams by E.P. Warren, architect of London. Between 1907 and 1914 a number of ancillary buildings and garden structures were built by Warren in collaboration with Thomas Mawson, who designed the garden. The upper terrace forms one of 2 concentric terraces in the formal garden to the S of the house.
Central stone steps are flanked by square freestone piers with ball finials. The rubble stone revetment is convex semi-circle terminating at each end with stone steps at right angles.
Listed as an integral component of an Edwardian garden by one of the foremost contemporary garden designers, and for its contribution to the setting of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings