This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6816 / 51°40'53"N
Longitude: -3.1952 / 3°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 317460
OS Northings: 198766
OS Grid: ST174987
Mapcode National: GBR HX.590D
Mapcode Global: VH6D7.KZNS
Entry Name: Lower terrace revetment and gates in garden to S of Maes Manor
Listing Date: 31 May 2002
Last Amended: 31 May 2002
Source ID: 26703
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Forming the boundary of the formal garden on the S side of the house.
Community: Blackwood (Coed Duon)
Locality: Maes Manor
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Originally known as Maesruddud, Maes Manor was built in 1900 as an addition to an earlier house and extended in 1907 when the original house was demolished. The second phase was added for L. Brewer Williams by E.P. Warren, architect of London. Between 1907 and 1914 a number of ancillary buildings and garden structures were built by Warren in collaboration with Thomas Mawson, who designed the garden. The lower terrace forms one of 2 concentric terraces in the formal garden to the S of the house.
Central steps have flanking walls and a gate at the lower end with square freestone piers and ball finials. Double wooden gates incorporate wooden panels and iron bars and are swept up to the outer sides. The rubble-stone revetment forms a convex semi-circle.
Listed as an integral component of an Edwardian garden by one of the foremost contemporary garden designers, and for its contribution to the setting of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings