This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6825 / 51°40'57"N
Longitude: -3.1922 / 3°11'32"W
OS Eastings: 317670
OS Northings: 198870
OS Grid: ST176988
Mapcode National: GBR HX.59R3
Mapcode Global: VH6D7.MZ81
Entry Name: Gate piers with flanking doorways and walls at entrance to Maes Manor
Listing Date: 31 May 2002
Last Amended: 31 May 2002
Source ID: 26707
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On the E side of the house set back from a minor road between Blackwood and Bedwellty.
Community: Blackwood (Coed Duon)
Locality: Maes Manor
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Originally known as Maesruddud, Maes Manor was built in 1900 as an addition to an earlier house and extended in 1907 when the original house was demolished. The second phase was added for L. Brewer Williams by E.P. Warren, architect of London. Between 1907 and 1914 a number of ancillary buildings and garden structures, including the main entrance and its associated lodges (the latter dated 1912), were built by Warren in collaboration with Thomas Mawson, who designed the garden.
Comprising a wide carriage entrance flanked by pedestrian entrances, of reconstituted stone. The main entrance has panelled square piers with ball finials. The gates are missing. The flanking pedestrian entrances have lower outer piers with moulded caps, round-headed doorways with keystones and studded doors with strap hinges. Convex outer walls of coursed rubble with saddleback copings curve out to the road and terminate with shallow square piers.
Listed with North and South Lodges as an integral component of a small Edwardian country estate representing the early C20 prosperity of the mining industry in S Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings