This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.86 / 51°51'36"N
Longitude: -4.4589 / 4°27'32"W
OS Eastings: 230772
OS Northings: 220798
OS Grid: SN307207
Mapcode National: GBR D8.SSSH
Mapcode Global: VH3LD.NHMY
Entry Name: Ty Penrheol
Listing Date: 8 July 2002
Last Amended: 8 July 2002
Source ID: 26751
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at the end of a drive N off the B4298 some 1.8 km E of the centre of Meidrim village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Later C19 small country house, possibly of c1870-80. There was a house here from the C17, owned by Williams family in C18, passed by marriage to John Howell of Tegfynydd (d1816). Described as a handsome mansion in good grounds in 1833. Owned by William Parker Howell in mid C19 and presumably then rebuilt. In 1841 the Tithe map schedule shows an estate of some 169 acres (68.4 hectares) owned by Morris Howell and occupied by David William. Ernest Howell JP (born at Penrheol 1858) resident in 1920, and by Major JF de Rees in 1926. Now known as Ty Penrheol.
House, red brick with slate deep-eaved roofs and 2 rebuilt brick axial ridge stacks, two and a half storeys. Flemish bond brickwork with yellow brick quoins and plinth. Eaves on paired long brackets. Symmetrical facade with centre advanced bay with shallow gable and pair of small arched attic lights with stucco keystones, large hornless 12-pane sashes with stucco cornices on brackets to 2 main floors, and centre door in stucco gabled porch with open pediment, moulded arch with keystone and double half-glazed doors. Small side windows. Patterned tile floor and inner large half-glazed door. W end broad gable has deep eaves, pair of 8-pane sashes to attic with cornice on brackets, first floor left 12-pane sash and ground floor left half-glazed door with overlight in brick and glass lean-to. Centre long narrow ground floor window with brick voussoirs. Right has 2-storey projection with slate coping under shallow parapet, first floor 4-pane sash with rendered head and ground floor recessed arch of rubbed brick with terracotta imposts and key, the keystone inscribed WP. Small window inset within.
Broad gable to E has brackets to verges, pair of 8-pane sashes to attic with cornice on 3 brackets, 2 first floor 12-pane sashes with cornices, another to ground floor left and door with high overlight to right, in lean-to brick and glass porch. To right, with continuous brickwork and still under main roof is 3-storey narrow section with 2-storey canted bay, the base brick with arched narrow lights, the first floor timber with 2-pane sashes and cornice. 12-pane sash above under gable slope. Two-storey wing to right has one 12-pane sash above with rubbed brick voussoirs and inserted C20 window below. Rear N wall has two gables, that to left set back: 8-pane sash above and rubble stone to lower wall, part obscured by lean-to, but suggesting earlier building. Gable to right is rendered with renewed bargeboards. Tiny horizontal sliding window to first floor left. Ground floor door and window.
W side of rear wing is 2-storey, 3-window range, the bay spacing uneven. Narrow 12-pane sashes with rubbed brick heads and keystones to first floor, possibly early C19, but if so, unusual in the use of brick at this date. Twelve-pane sashes below, brick head is cruder to ground floor left horned sash, larger sash to ground floor right with rubbed brick head and key. Centre brick porch with cambered arch and stucco keystone. C20 door within.
Included for its special architectural interest as a well-designed C19 small country house which retains its character.
Other nearby listed buildings