This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.307 / 53°18'25"N
Longitude: -4.0787 / 4°4'43"W
OS Eastings: 261587
OS Northings: 380912
OS Grid: SH615809
Mapcode National: GBR JM9Y.VSX
Mapcode Global: WH53W.94ZL
Entry Name: Plas Newydd
Listing Date: 17 July 2002
Last Amended: 17 July 2002
Source ID: 26759
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back, along a track, from the N side of a country road running between Penmon and Glan-yr-afon, NNE of the village of Llangoed.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Early C17 farmhouse. Dated on a tablet over the doorway 1616 with initials R H W - for Richard Hughes Williams who later married into the Bulkeley family. The house is distinguished by a storeyed porch, a locally recurring feature. In the C19, the farm belonged to Ellen Gwynne's charity, founded in 1733, and supporting almshouses in Llandwrog, Caernarfonshire. The records of the charity suggest that the house was partly rebuilt in the mid C19, referring to the quarrying of stone for a new house and yard, and the erection of a new house and outbuildings according to plans prepared by Henry Kennedy of Bangor in 1847. The farm-buildings can be related to this building campaign, but the house retains its C17 vernacular character.
The house comprises the main range with central advanced storeyed porch and offset rear wing with lean-to addition in the SW angle. Built of local rubble masonry with limestone dressing; modern slate roof with tall gable stacks and a lateral shouldered stack to the rear of the storeyed porch.
The principal elevation faces the coast to the N, the main entrance in a storeyed porch with label over the flat arched doorway and small 1st floor window, datestone between the two and gable stack at apex; there is a narrow window in the E wall of the porch with stone lintel and slate sill. In the main range of the house, to R of the porch is a ground floor window with flat voussoir head, the 1st floor casement of 3 lights set directly under the eaves. The L (E) return has an enlarged 1st floor window with label over and the R return has a doorway to the R (S). The rear of the block has casement windows to the W end; a 3-light 1st floor window and single light below.
The rear wing has a single ground floor window along the E wall and a 1st floor window in the S gable with label; a similar window in the lean to addition which has 2 casement windows of 2-lights along the W wall.
The house has a central hallway with principal rooms leading off, and which leads to the rear wing; a lateral corridor to the rear of the main range leads to the back door and lean-to addition which formerly housed the dairy and scullery.
The interior of the house has been modernised but retains exposed beams and joists in the ground floor rooms which have massive chamfered beams, some with roll moulded angles. The dining room has a massive chamfered bressumer to the inglenook fireplace and the other fireplaces throughout the house have massive stone lintels; the small room over the porch is said, by owner, to have a shaped stone lintel, possibly a reset mullion. The roof has been renewed but retains some parts of older pegged trusses; purlins mostly renewed, those over the porch the original oak pair. The inner doorway to the porch is a round-headed arch.
Listed as a substantially early C17 house of traditional type, retaining vernacular character and some fine original features including massive beams, some with moulded angles. Plas Newydd is one of a small number of such sub medieval gentry houses which are a comparatively rare type to be found on Anglesey.
Other nearby listed buildings