This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.245 / 53°14'41"N
Longitude: -3.3085 / 3°18'30"W
OS Eastings: 312781
OS Northings: 372794
OS Grid: SJ127727
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZBX.JG
Mapcode Global: WH76Q.4PSP
Entry Name: Coach House with stable & privy at The Rectory
Listing Date: 19 July 2002
Last Amended: 19 July 2002
Source ID: 26780
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the NW side of the house.
Built-Up Area: Caerwys
Traditional County: Flintshire
Probably early C19 and originally a stable. It is shown on the 1849 Tithe map. It was later extended to form a coach house, and a privy was added, in the third quarter of the C19. It is shown in its present form on the 1871 Ordnance Survey.
Rubble stone with slate roof. The coach house faces N and has a carriage doorway with segmental arch with dressed voussoirs, with later double boarded doors. A boarded door to its L has a wooden lintel and is beneath a boarded loft door. A lean-to housing privy and store is to the R (W) gable end. It has a N doorway with boarded door and wooden lintel, while the end wall has a segmental-headed window (boarded up) L, central ventilation strip and infilled segmental-headed loft opening to the gable end of the main range. The rear has a segmental-headed privy doorway enclosed by a screen wall, while the main range has segmental-headed windows R and L boarded over, and ventilation strip L of centre.
The privy retains its original bench and 2 stalls.
Listed as a well-preserved C19 coach house and stable and for its contribution to the historical integrity of The Rectory.
Other nearby listed buildings