History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Court (also known as Sessions House)

A Grade II Listed Building in Caerwys, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2461 / 53°14'45"N

Longitude: -3.3063 / 3°18'22"W

OS Eastings: 312932

OS Northings: 372913

OS Grid: SJ129729

Mapcode National: GBR 5ZCX.02

Mapcode Global: WH76Q.5NVV

Entry Name: Manor Court (also known as Sessions House)

Listing Date: 19 July 2002

Last Amended: 19 July 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26786

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set back from the road behind a walled garden approximately 80m E of the junction with North and South Streets.

County: Flintshire

Community: Caerwys

Community: Caerwys

Built-Up Area: Caerwys

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Caerwys

History

Built in 1869 (date on building) to replace an earlier magistrate's court on High Street (now known as Old Court), with the adjacent Manor House, probably originally Judges' Lodgings. The presence of a court in Caerwys was a legacy of its ancient borough status.

Exterior

A near-symmetrical 2-storey 3-window house of snecked dressed stone and slate roof with end stacks. The central doorway has a pointed head with voussoirs, double panelled doors incorporating glazed panels and strap hinges, and plain overlight. Above the doorway is a freestone tablet recording the building of the sessions house in 1869. Windows have wedge lintels and stone sills and incorporate wood-framed casements. In the lower storey are a 3-light window to the L and 2-light window to the R, both with transoms. The upper storey has 2-light windows. The 2-window L gable end has a cross window lower L and a small window further L. Behind is a rear wing. In the upper storey is an enlarged window L and a 2-light window to the R. Behind is a single-storey rear wing.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its social-historical interest and as a well-detailed C19 public building that contributes to the historic character of the town.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.