This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1645 / 53°9'52"N
Longitude: -3.2981 / 3°17'53"W
OS Eastings: 313311
OS Northings: 363832
OS Grid: SJ133638
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.4PB7
Mapcode Global: WH773.9QQC
Entry Name: Ffynnon Gynhafal
Listing Date: 30 July 2002
Last Amended: 30 July 2002
Source ID: 26795
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: To south side of Plas Dolben farmhouse, the water issuing at the corner of a field.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The bard Gruffydd ap Ieuan ap Llewellyn Fychan (1485-1553) sought a cure at this well, the origins of whose reputation must go back to a time before the Reformation, before his conversion to Protestantism led him to condemn such practices.
The construction of a (C19?) brickwork vault over the basin shows the well remained in use into post-Reformation times, regardless of the change in official attitudes. The well may have been enlarged at this time.
Jones records that in later years the well was reputed to cure warts; they were pricked with a pin which was then thrown into the well. The presence of steps, however, shows that people probably actually entered the basin.
A stone-lined basin about 5m by 3m, with a low wall on the downstream side and taller walls on the other three sides carrying an elliptical brickwork vault. The water is about 0.2m deep. It is unclear whether the water was intended to pass over the top of the low wall; there may be an opening at lower level or the water may now simply be issuing from cracks.
Two short flights of steps lead down to the water.
A very well preserved historic well of curative repute, associated with St Cynhafal's church.
Other nearby listed buildings