This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9098 / 51°54'35"N
Longitude: -4.9538 / 4°57'13"W
OS Eastings: 196921
OS Northings: 227600
OS Grid: SM969276
Mapcode National: GBR CL.PXK7
Mapcode Global: VH1R1.28Y8
Entry Name: Saint Dogwells Farm
Listing Date: 7 August 2002
Last Amended: 7 August 2002
Source ID: 26840
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated S of the Afon Anghof some 400m S of the Church of Saint Dogfael.
Community: Wolfscastle (Cas-blaidd)
Locality: St Dogwells
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Later C18 farmhouse, altered. The farm is said to have been part of the estate of the bishops of St Davids and may be on a medieval site. According to Fenton, St Dogwell's, or Llantydewi, was a vicarage in the presentation of the chapter of St Davids from 1254, and the manor was held by John de Barry, then Sir Richard Symonds, who presented it to the chapter in 1329. The 1846 St Dogwells Tithe map records a holding of 78 acres owned by William Edwards and occupied by Daniel Owen. In 1926 St Dogwells Farm listed as farmed by A. & G. Raymond and also James Griffiths.
Farmhouse, white-painted rubble stone with slate roof, C19 or C20 painted brick end chimneys and tall square stone chimney on roof slope of rear outshut. Two-storey 4-window front with renewed 4-pane sashes. Main house to right has 2 sashes each floor and half-glazed door between, and kitchen end to left under same roof has slightly different sized sash each floor and half-glazed door to left. Left end addition has small 4-pane loft window over door in end wall, and added lean-to to left in painted brick. Right end wall has one window to right, in end of rear outshut. Rear outshut has three windows and door, the door between first and second windows, all with brick heads. Addition to right with C20 metal window. Lean-to on right end wall of main house has loft light with dripstone.
Three-room plan, the lower room the kitchen with massive timber lintel over deep fireplace with bread oven to rear left. Rounded step in front of left jamb. Four rough- hewn joists. Door to left of fireplace to passage into slate floored lean-to, with segment of bed-rock exposed. Ladder stair to loft with rough rafters, one forked. Middle room has 4 cased joists and fireplace on rear wall, now infilled. Entrance hall beyond has enclosed pine staircase. Upper end room has 4 cased joists, and fireplace with delicately ornamented early C19 cast-iron grate and surround. Rear outshut has dairy with slate troughs and shelves. Original end window now plastered-in visible from bathroom addition.
Included as a traditional farmhouse probably of later C18 date, the three-room plan larger than the usual centralised plan, but apparently original.
Other nearby listed buildings