This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9122 / 52°54'44"N
Longitude: -4.0988 / 4°5'55"W
OS Eastings: 258961
OS Northings: 337041
OS Grid: SH589370
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NDT5
Mapcode Global: WH55T.02G7
Entry Name: Sea-front Terrace Incorporating the Casino and Amis Reunis
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26861
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located immediately below, and to the E of, the terrace in front of the Portmeirion Hotel.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1925. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
The seafront terrace, constructed in 1926, forms the quay of Portmeirion. In that year CWE moored a seventy ton trading ketch alongside; unhappily this drifted off during a spring gale and ended up beached and on its side on the small island of Ynys Gifftan. CWE salvaged what he could and in 1930 eventually incorporated the ketch into the quayside, now moored, more securely, in mortar and concrete. The ship which came from Britany, was named the Amis Reunis. In the same year an arched loggia was built; this was named the Casino.
Long built quay, or terrace of irregular plan, incorporating the Amis Reunis ship and the Casino, as well as a parapetted steps and subway structure leading from the road down onto the quay. The quay itself is flagged and has a rubble revettment, with broad flight of stone steps descending to the water in the centre. The Amis Reunis is incorporated into the Sea Front Terrace at an angle to the S and gives the impression of being moored. Concrete faux boat with two tall masts.
The Casino is placed in the centre of the quay, opposite the steps and backing onto the hotel's terrace revettment. It consists of a part-rendered rubble logia of three round-headed arches with Tuscan columns to the centre; balustrade to the top, with three sections of turned balusters between solid piers; moulded copings. Steps sweep up to the L and R to the upper (hotel) terrace, though are now blocked off. To the N of the quay is a square walled projection containing a subway-type stair access to the road above; surmounting balustraded parapet.
Listed as one of a number of buildings and structures erected or remodelled by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings