This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9136 / 52°54'48"N
Longitude: -4.0999 / 4°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 258896
OS Northings: 337195
OS Grid: SH588371
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NDK0
Mapcode Global: WH55S.Z1V6
Entry Name: Revetment Wall Immediately N of The Arches, Including Associated Columnar and Urn Monuments
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26862
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Adjoining The Arches to the N, facing the main street.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
The column with surmounting nymph statue is known as the Williams-Ellis column; it and the associated wall and urn monument were erected following the construction of Arches, adjoining, in 1963-4.
Low rubble revetment wall running from The Arches to the Piazza. Adjoining at the southern end is the Williams-Ellis Column. This consists of a circular plinth and base with tall whitened Doric column made of bricks; surmounting this is a bronzed figure of a classical nymph. Towards the northern termination of the revettment wall is a classical painted iron urn on fluted column. This is framed by a large chinoiserie-style decorative wrought iron arch and is approached by a flight of four rendered and slate-coped steps.
Listed as one of a number of buildings and structures erected or remodelled by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings