This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9129 / 52°54'46"N
Longitude: -4.0985 / 4°5'54"W
OS Eastings: 258988
OS Northings: 337115
OS Grid: SH589371
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NDX7
Mapcode Global: WH55T.01MQ
Entry Name: Aedicular Niche to the N of the Swimming Pool
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26864
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: At the foot of the wooded cliff on the N side of the grassed garden area with swimming pool, E of Anchor and Fountain.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
Tall stuccoed and rusticated aedicule consisting of an arched niche with baroque-style shaped and voluted gable. Within the gable apex is a circular niche with raised surround; this contains a Roman-style bust.
Listed as one of a number of buildings and structures erected by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings