This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9138 / 52°54'49"N
Longitude: -4.099 / 4°5'56"W
OS Eastings: 258957
OS Northings: 337212
OS Grid: SH589372
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NDRJ
Mapcode Global: WH55T.01D2
Entry Name: Neo-Jacobean Gateway and Adjoining Walls to the NE of the Central Piazza
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26867
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Defining the Central Piazza on the NE side, between the Gloriette and the Bristol Colonnade.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
These walls partly date from the mid 1930s and defined the central village space which at that time was partly occupied by a tennis court. The area was restructured between 1964 and 1965 when the Gloriette and Central Piazza were created; the C19 Jacobean-style arch appears to have been erected as part of this remodelling.
Rubble wall, approimately 2m high on the road side and 3m high on the Piazza side; connecting the Gloriette with the Colonnade. At a short distance to the E of the Gloriette the wall is punctuated by a well-detailed neo-Jacobean archway, with rusticated arch having entablature with strapwork cartouche over and flanking obelisk finials. A flight of 8 stone slab steps leads down to the Central Piazza through the archway from the road. The walls slope up to the arch on either side and have stone surmounting ball finials at their highest point. Between this archway and the Colonnade to the SE is a break in the wall with a wrought-iron balcony and flanking square piers; these are surmounted by stone ball finials.
Listed as one of a number of buildings and structures erected by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings