This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9137 / 52°54'49"N
Longitude: -4.0972 / 4°5'49"W
OS Eastings: 259078
OS Northings: 337201
OS Grid: SH590372
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NF73
Mapcode Global: WH55T.1173
Entry Name: Cliff House Including Annex
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26873
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the eastern edge of the village, in front, and to the E of, the Gatehouse.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
Built 1969, with an annex added in 1971 (designed 1967 and 1970 respectively). CWE's last major building at Portmeirion.
Two-storey rectangular main house with single-storey, flat-roofed annex adjoining to the NE; in theatrical Georgian style. Rendered elevations, the main house with hipped slate roof and deep eaves. The main house has symmetrical, three-bay elevations, those to the E and W longer; of these the W elevation is the entrance front. This has a central entrance with part-glazed door and flanking 12-pane sashes, the whole with Regency-style open iron verandah/porch in front; this has a sloped metal lean-to roof and decorative iron flanking supports. Beyond the porch on both sides are smaller 6-pane outer windows. Three 6-pane windows to the upper floor, that to the centre with flanking external wooden shutters. The windows to the R of the entrance on both floors are blind and are intended purely to achieve symmetry. The N elevation has trompe l'oeil windows; 3 tall arched windows to the ground floor with oval occuli above, the central one with flanking swags; raised plaster architraves and keys, with applied cartouches to the tops of the ground floor arches. Twelve-pane sashes to the S elevation, with a balcony with decorative iron balustrade to the first-floor centre.
The annex has a screen wall facing W and thereby hiding a flat roof. Wide central entrance with classical surround and entablature, surmounted by central and flanking finials; part-glazed doors. Narrow 6-pane vertical rectangular windows to either side of the entrance.
Listed as one of a number of buildings and structures erected by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings