This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9144 / 52°54'51"N
Longitude: -4.1006 / 4°6'2"W
OS Eastings: 258851
OS Northings: 337290
OS Grid: SH588372
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NDC7
Mapcode Global: WH55S.Z0HK
Entry Name: Corrugated Iron Shelter
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26878
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: In the Gwyllt, at the end of a path running NW from the small Piazza.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
One of the more substantial of Sir Clough's corrugated iron structures, built after 1953; in his declining years CWE is said to have often sat in this shelter.
Decorative aedicular shelter of painted corrugated iron construction; in the form of a tented pavilion with fictive swags; central raised ball and star finial and flanking fleurs-de-lis, all two dimensonal and of cut-out form. This structure contains a slatted bench in the summer months.
Listed as one of a number of buildings and structures erected by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings