This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9133 / 52°54'47"N
Longitude: -4.1005 / 4°6'1"W
OS Eastings: 258854
OS Northings: 337165
OS Grid: SH588371
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NDDQ
Mapcode Global: WH55S.Z1KD
Entry Name: The Gazebo
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26879
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On a commanding site overlooking the village from the Gwyllt, immediately to the E of the medieval motte.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
Built in 1983 to designs by Sir Clough's daughter, Susan Williams-Ellis to mark the centenary of CWE's birth; officially opened by Sir Hugh Casson, architect. The gazebo incorporates six of the thirty panels which CWE salvaged from the Seaman's Home, Liverpool, following its demolition in 1954.
Open octagonal gazebo; of simple metal construction on a rubble plinth with 5 segmental steps leading up from the W. A central column, made up of reused second-quarter C19 terracotta chimney sections, supports a sloped conical metal roof with surmounting ball finial; decorative cresting to the eaves. Between paired plain outer colonnettes are placed six decorative iron mermaid panels.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings