This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9091 / 52°54'32"N
Longitude: -4.1036 / 4°6'12"W
OS Eastings: 258631
OS Northings: 336705
OS Grid: SH586367
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.NRNT
Mapcode Global: WH55S.Y42M
Entry Name: The Lighthouse
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26881
Building Class: Communications
Location: At Portmeirion's southernmost point, dramatically sited on the coastline.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
The Lighthouse was erected by 1963.
The Lighthouse consists of a small cylindrical tower of sheet metal with surmounting upturned pig boiler forming a dome. In between are latticed lights with dividing volutes; surmounting the whole is an ornate metal finial. This tower section stands on a wider circular rubble platform with railed balustrade and arched entrance.
Listed as one of a number of buildings and structures erected by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings