This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9248 / 52°55'29"N
Longitude: -4.0894 / 4°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 259640
OS Northings: 338419
OS Grid: SH596384
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.MWMD
Mapcode Global: WH55M.4RY4
Entry Name: Entrance Piers at the Minffordd Approach to Portmeirion
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26888
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Set back slightly from the main road at its junction with the access road to Portmeirion.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
Pair of entrance piers; of whitened cement blocks in three diminishing stages and with stopped-chamfered edges; on square plinth bases. Each pier is surmounted by a square vase of reconstituted stone with figurative relief decoration to the sides.
Listed as a pair of C20 entrance piers erected by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, architect and conservationist, as part of his inspired Portmeirion Village.
Other nearby listed buildings