This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9136 / 52°54'48"N
Longitude: -4.0986 / 4°5'54"W
OS Eastings: 258985
OS Northings: 337192
OS Grid: SH589371
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.NDVW
Mapcode Global: WH55T.01L6
Entry Name: Columnar Monument Immediately S of Chantry
Listing Date: 23 August 2002
Last Amended: 23 August 2002
Source ID: 26889
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: On a rock outcrop immediately to the S of Chantry.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Portmeirion was designed and laid out by the celebrated architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis (1883-1978) following his purchase of the estate, then called Aber Iâ, in 1926. The village evolved over several decades and was still being added to in the 1970s.
This monument is made up of one of eight columns acquired in the 1930s and originating as Samuel Wyatt's Colonnade at Hooton Hall, Cheshire. The Ionic columns, with the exception of this example, which was used when Chantry was built in the 1930's, were mislaid for some thirty years; they were eventually found buried beneath a garden which had been laid out on top of them.
The monument consists of a tall Ionic sandstone column with surmounting turned finial and decorative metal weathervane. On a square plinth, within a semi-circular low brick-walled encosure.
Listed as one of a number of buildings and structures erected by the eminent architect and conservationist Sir Clough Williams-Ellis for his visionary Portmeirion villiage.
Group value with other listed items at Portmeirion.
Other nearby listed buildings