This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3006 / 53°18'2"N
Longitude: -4.2366 / 4°14'11"W
OS Eastings: 251047
OS Northings: 380514
OS Grid: SH510805
Mapcode National: GBR HMXZ.836
Mapcode Global: WH42N.W9RK
Entry Name: Llanbedrgoch Sunday School
Listing Date: 27 August 2002
Last Amended: 27 August 2002
Source ID: 26893
Building Class: Education
Location: Set back from the N side of the junction of Ffordd Ysgol (School Lane) and Ffordd Deg Terrace in the centre of Llanbedrgoch.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Early C19 former endowed charity school, united with the National Society 28th February 1817 and opened 5th March 1818. Built on land donated by O P Meyrick at a cost of £117, £30 of which was paid for by National Treasury Grants.
In the Tithe Apportionment of the parish, 1841, the owner is listed as being O P Meyrick and in the Census Returns of 1851 Evan Lloyd and his wife, both school teachers, are recorded as occupying the schoolhouse.
By the late C19 the numbers attending the school were falling and it was threatened with closure in 1889 and 1894-5 but was reprieved. In 1899 it was transferred to the National School in February and every effort was made to enlist voluntary support, but failed and as the parish was too small to have a board of its own it was united with its neighbouring parish at Pentraeth on 26th October.
Further difficulties were created when the Bishop refused to sanction the transfer of the school on the grounds that no provision existed for the religious education of church children; a new school had to be built in the village in 1902, at a cost of £1,101.
The old school was extended by the addition of an asymmetrically pitched roofed extension in C20 and is now in use as a sunday school.
Small early C19 rural school house with later addition. Main school house is a 2-window range with doorway at L (W) end of S wall. Built of rubble masonry with rough stone voussoir heads to openings. Roof of large slates laid to diminishing courses, squat rectangular gable stacks. All openings have pointed arched heads, tall casement windows with slate sills along the S wall; the door is to L end of the N wall and set in the lower part of a similar opening with pointed overlight; the window to the R of the door is obscured by the added wing. The added wing is advanced from the NW corner and has modern timber framed casement windows.
Interior not inspected at the time of the survey.
Included as a good early C18 rural school house which retains much of its original vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings