This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9416 / 51°56'29"N
Longitude: -4.2447 / 4°14'41"W
OS Eastings: 245797
OS Northings: 229389
OS Grid: SN457293
Mapcode National: GBR DJ.MZQC
Mapcode Global: VH3L4.CGTF
Entry Name: Pound in churchyard wall of Church of St Llawddog
Listing Date: 12 September 2002
Last Amended: 12 September 2002
Source ID: 26936
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the S side of the church.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built in the C18 or early C19 and shown on the 1838 Tithe map at the SE corner of the churchyard. The churchyard was extended E when the church was rebuilt in 1848-9, at which time an extension of the rubble stone boundary wall was built abutting the E side of the pound. The entrance to the pound is an alteration of the mid or late C19.
A sub-circular pound of rubble stone with C20 cock-and-hen coping course. On the E side is a camber-headed doorway with dressed voussoirs and rock-faced keystone. On the S side facing the road is a narrow loop. The churchyard wall abuts the E and W sides.
Listed for its special historic interest as a rare surviving small pound, a building type once familiar in rural Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings