This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4739 / 51°28'25"N
Longitude: -3.3269 / 3°19'36"W
OS Eastings: 307939
OS Northings: 175826
OS Grid: ST079758
Mapcode National: GBR HQ.LCWC
Mapcode Global: VH6FB.962Y
Entry Name: Monument to Dafydd William at Croes-y-Parc chapel
Listing Date: 17 September 2002
Last Amended: 17 September 2002
Source ID: 26948
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In the churchyard immediately S of the chapel.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Peterston-super-Ely (Llanbedr-y-fro)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Monument erected to Dafydd William, unveiled by Lord Pontypridd 1910, sponsored by the Congregational Church, the Baptists of East Glamorgan and other Christian admirers. David/Dafydd William was one of the founders of the chapel and responsible for the first chapel building of 1777; died 1794. He was also a Welsh language hymn-writer. A plaque in English commemorates him inside the chapel but as part of a later Welsh revival the larger monument with inscription in Welsh was erected in the cemetery.
Imposing late Victorian churchyard monument. Granite shaft on a rock-faced plinth. Recessed inscription panel with long Welsh inscription of applied leaded letters, a Celtic knot at base. Circular head framed with cable moulding enclosing a copper roundel depicting a biblical scene. Blank to rear.
Listed for its historic interest and for group value with the chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings