History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangyniew, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.702 / 52°42'7"N

Longitude: -3.3175 / 3°19'2"W

OS Eastings: 311071

OS Northings: 312403

OS Grid: SJ110124

Mapcode National: GBR 9S.2V6W

Mapcode Global: WH79F.0BJY

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 19 September 2002

Last Amended: 19 September 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26958

Building Class: Domestic

Location: To the south-east of the village of Pontrobert, on the north side of the road to Dolobran; the house set back from the road with garden to front, yard to rear.

County: Powys

Community: Llangyniew (Llangynyw)

Community: Llangyniew

Locality: Pontrobert

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Pont-Robert

History

A parsonage of 1853, but in an early C19 style; it was contemporary with the construction of the parish church (designed by R K Penson, 1853).

Exterior

Symmetrical two-storey three-window front elevation in brickwork; axe-dressed uncoursed stonework at sides and rear. Rear wing also of two storeys; small porch in the angle, heightened to two storeys. Slate roof with brick end-chimneys.

Central six-panel door with rectangular overlight. Flanking canted bay windows with slate roofs and French doors. Above, the windows are of hornless sash type, 16 panes, in cambered brick-headed openings with stone sills.

Interior

Interior not seen.

Reasons for Listing

A good mid-C19 minor parsonage which has retained its character.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* John Hughes Memorial Chapel (Pontrobert Chapel)
    In a cul-de-sac lane to the north of Pontrobert Village (leading to Pentre-uchaf), on west side of lane; the chapel cemetery in on the opposite side (in different ownership).
  • II Farm Building at Dolobran including Link Wall to House
    At west side of Dolobran Hall, across a small yard.
  • II* Dolobran Hall
    1 km west of Pontrobert village, reached by a lane to the north of the Pontrobert to Mathrafal road. Farmyard at north and west (including listed farm building), garden to south.
  • II* Garth-fawr
    Reached by a lane east of a minor road to the north-east of the village of Pontrobert.
  • II* Friends' Meeting House
    Located in a deliberately obscure position in a fold of the hill at the end of a farm track N of Forge Farm. Burial ground is now a garden.
  • II Pont-y-Ffatri (partley in Llangyniew Community)
    Carrying the road east from Pontrobert to Mathrafal over the Afon Efyrnwy, about 1.5 km east of Pontrobert.
  • II Pont-y-Ffatri (partly in Meifod Community)
    Carrying the road east from Pontrobert to Mathrafal over the Afon Efyrnwy, about 1.5 km east of Pontrobert.
  • II Cynhinfa
    About 1.5 km south-west of Pontrobert, to east of a minor road. The site is now Parc Cynhinfa Caravan Park.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.