This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6731 / 52°40'23"N
Longitude: -3.2921 / 3°17'31"W
OS Eastings: 312731
OS Northings: 309162
OS Grid: SJ127091
Mapcode National: GBR 9T.4N4W
Mapcode Global: WH79M.D2LK
Entry Name: Ffordd Banwy (Old Rectory)
Listing Date: 19 September 2002
Last Amended: 19 September 2002
Source ID: 26965
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 50 m north of St Cynyw's Church, Llangynyw, in private grounds.
Community: Llangyniew (Llangynyw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Ffordd Banwy is the former parsonage of Llangynyw. Much of the house is said to have been built and improved by the Rev. James Price, who died in 1729.
Further substantial improvement appears to date from the late C18 or early C19. The main range has an east wing and a single storey front extension in similar brickwork to the main range but apparently of later date. There is a late C19 bay window added to the east side and a modern rustic porch. Modern single-storey extension also at the west end.
The rectory was recorded in 1849 as part of the parish glebe of 31 acres.
A house the main range of which is of two storeys and three windows, facing south, with a crosswing at the right advancing to the front. The garden (east) elevation of the crosswing is of two storeys and two windows, but the gable ends of this crosswing to front and rear have attic windows. The front and garden elevations (south and east) are in red brick; the rear is in slatey stone and the left (west) elevation is rendered. Slate roof to both parts with tile ridge, timber finials and generous boxed eaves and verges. Two diagonally-set cluster-shaft chimneys. Rendered low extension to the west.
The principal windows of the main range at front (south) and those of the crosswing at front and to the east are of hornless sash type, with 16 panes, in rendered and white painted reveals and with stone sills. Flat or cambered brick arches: those in the advancing parts of the front elevation in brick rubbers, those to the garden elevation painted white; those of the original front elevation in yellow brick. Utilitarian windows at rear, some with leaded glazing. Three roof-lights at rear of main range, one at rear of west extension. At the east side there is a red-brick bay French window with modern frames and hipped slate roof.
Interior not seen.
Listed as a good parsonage of late C18 or early C19 character and for group value with St Cynyw's parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings