This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8423 / 51°50'32"N
Longitude: -4.9599 / 4°57'35"W
OS Eastings: 196200
OS Northings: 220112
OS Grid: SM962201
Mapcode National: GBR CL.V2DQ
Mapcode Global: VH1R6.ZY8K
Entry Name: Bowling House
Listing Date: 2 October 2002
Last Amended: 2 October 2002
Source ID: 26978
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the W side of a minor road leading N to the Church of Saint Michael at Rudbaxton.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Mid C19 former rectory, plans in the National Library of 1845, signed by William Phillips of Prendergast. The plan type with no centre door but the entry on the end wall seems to have been a mid C19 type for parsonages: similar plans exist at Camrose, Whitchurch and St Lawrence in Pembrokeshire, dated between c1840 and 1860.
House, unpainted stucco lined as ashlar with deep-eaved slate hipped valley roofs and renewed red brick stacks. Two storeys, near square plan with centre roof valley. Three-bay facades to SW front and SE, the entrance on longer SE front, with hornless sash windows, raised plinth and band. SW front has two 12-pane sash windows above, 2 tripartite 4-12-4-pane sashes below and blank centre first floor window. Basement light under right window. Red brick centre ridge stack. SE side has 3 wider spaced 12-pane sashes above, 2 below, the left one dummy, and centre 6-panel door in added glazed porch. W side has 12-pane sash each floor to far left, brick stack on wall-face to left of centre, and centre ground floor window with Gothic glazing bars and coloured etched glass. Rear has lean-to to right, red brick chimney left of centre and 12-pane stair light. Lower lean-to to left.
Interior not accessible, plan has spine passage behind 2 front rooms.
Included as a late Georgian style former rectory, largely unaltered.
Other nearby listed buildings