This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1952 / 53°11'42"N
Longitude: -3.3181 / 3°19'5"W
OS Eastings: 312035
OS Northings: 367272
OS Grid: SJ120672
Mapcode National: GBR 6R.2QGZ
Mapcode Global: WH76X.0Y6B
Entry Name: Fron-gelyn Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 October 2002
Last Amended: 22 October 2002
Source ID: 27009
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Fron-gelyn farmhouse is probably of the C18. It is noted in the Tithe Survey (1839) as part of the estate of John Edward Maddocks esq, tenanted by John Williams with about 23 acres (9.3 hectares). The 1874 map shows the listed group of house, barn and shippon/stable as comprising the whole farmstead.
The farmhouse stands at the rear of its farmyard, facing north-west. The original house is of 1½ storeys and 2 windows, in stone, roughly rendered and whitened, with a slate roof and stone chimney at right. It has been extended with a lean-to covered way at the left end and a 1½-storey annex in tandem at the right, but with much lower eaves. The front door is now within the latter. There is also an added rear wing.
The original front elevation now only contains windows, approximately square, with a brick segmental arch. Three of the 4 have a mullion and 2 casement lights. The upper right window is not in line with the window below. The upper windows are in slated dormers penetrating the eaves. The annex at right is in similar materials. Modern windows, modern lean-to porch at front.
The rear wing is single storey, in brickwork, also painted white, with slate roof and a tall brick chimney. Modern windows.
The farmhouse of a small upland mixed farm, which has retained its farm buildings and much of its original character.
Other nearby listed buildings