History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shippon and Stable at Fron-gelyn

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandyrnog, Denbighshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1952 / 53°11'42"N

Longitude: -3.3186 / 3°19'6"W

OS Eastings: 312004

OS Northings: 367265

OS Grid: SJ120672

Mapcode National: GBR 6R.2QCQ

Mapcode Global: WH76X.0Y0D

Entry Name: Shippon and Stable at Fron-gelyn

Listing Date: 22 October 2002

Last Amended: 22 October 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 27010

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: In Fron-gelyn farmyard, to west of the farmhouse.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Llandyrnog

Locality: Fron-gelyn

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llandyrnog

History

Probably early C19. These buildings appear on the 1874 map.

Exterior

A lofted 2-unit stable, facing east towards the farmhouse, with a singe-storey 2-unit shippon in tandem at the left. Local axe-dressed stonework with slate roofs. The stable part has a door and window at left, a cartshed opening at right; hatches, now glazed, above each. The shippon at left has 2 round-arched openings in brick, one with a heck door, the other partly walled up.

Recent brickwork lean-to at rear; 2 rear hatches of the stable part appear above this lean-to, now also glazed.

Reasons for Listing

Buildings completing the little upland farmstead of Fron-gelyn and which have retained their character, listed also for group value with the farmhouse and barn.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Fron-gelyn Farmhouse
    Llandyrnog
  • II Fron-gelyn Barn
    In Fron-gelyn farmyard, to the north-west of the original yard.
  • II* Church of St. Cwyfan
    In a square churchyard 1.5 km north-east of St Tyrnog's Church. Stone churchyard wall with iron gate
  • II* Plas Ashpool
    To the east side of the B5429, about 2km north of Llandyrnog village; farm buildings to north-west s
  • II Two Parallel Barns with Linking Sheds at Plas Ashpool
    To west of Plas Ashpool, the barns lying at right angles to the road.
  • II Castell Bach
    Reached by an unclassified narrow lane 1 km north-east from Dre-goch Ganol on the B5429.
  • II Ty Capel y Dyffryn
    To the side of Capel Dyffryn, to which it is linked by a wall; similar low wall and railings at fron
  • II Capel y Dyffryn
    ¾ km north of Llandyrnog village, west of the crossroads, at south side of road. Low wall and railin

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.