This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1808 / 53°10'50"N
Longitude: -3.2953 / 3°17'42"W
OS Eastings: 313533
OS Northings: 365638
OS Grid: SJ135656
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.3Q19
Mapcode Global: WH773.C92W
Entry Name: Glyn Arthur
Listing Date: 22 October 2002
Last Amended: 22 October 2002
Source ID: 27012
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the valley below Moel Arthur, about 1km south-west of the summit.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Glyn Arthur is a Regency house of gentry status grafted on to a sub-mediaeval house which is now the rear wing. The character of the house derives from its Regency improvement, perhaps under the Jones family; Edward Jones of Glyn Arthur died in 1835; the house is noted in the Tithe Survey (1840) as owned and occupied by Elizabeth Jones.
A 2-storey house, of striking visual effect on approach; the west elevation is symmetrical and strongly divided horizontally by a verandah projecting on three sides. The main block of the house is approximtely square. Behind this, to the east, is a long service wing. A service yard to the north of the latter is entered through a gateway at left and there are outbuildings.
The house is rough-cast, with a low-pitch slate roof with metal covering to ridges and hips and four rough-cast chimneys. The slated verandah to north, west and south includes decorative slate courses on the north side where it doubles as an open porch. It is supported on timber posts and the ground under it is paved in slate. The north (entrance) elevation and the west (garden) elevation are of 3 windows (above the verandah), but in the north elevation the right upper window is blind.
The upper windows of the main block are of hornless sash type with 16 panes. Below the verandah roof at west are 2 sash windows similar to those above but with additional margin panes. The main door at north is semi-glazed and has a simple overlight. At the south side of the house, facing the terraced part of the garden, is one similar window with margin panes, and one upper window to the right; at the centre is a 2 storey timber sunroom, with hipped glazed roof and canted corners.
The north wing is double pile, in similar materials including 2 chimneys; 4 units as seen from the yard, inclding 2 cartsheds (one walled up but with window); lofted stable at left with external stairs; modern porch to right; 2 dormer windows. At rear the elevation is irregular, with 2 16-pane sash-windows above and one below, a smaller sash-window above and 2 modern French windows. At the end is a modern glazed conservatory.
Forming the east side of the yard is another stables and cartshed range at right-angles to the last, including a circular loft hatch.
A fine house of gentry status of the Regency period which has retained its character.
Other nearby listed buildings