This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1754 / 53°10'31"N
Longitude: -3.3368 / 3°20'12"W
OS Eastings: 310750
OS Northings: 365090
OS Grid: SJ107650
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.3ZZQ
Mapcode Global: WH772.QG80
Entry Name: Nos 4 and 5 Church Square, Llandyrnog
Listing Date: 22 October 2002
Last Amended: 22 October 2002
Source ID: 27014
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the village of Llandyrnog, on the west side of the village street opposite the church.
Locality: Llandyrnog Village
Built-Up Area: Llandyrnog
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Two cottages perhaps of the C17. They are part of what remains of a larger group of cottages which were noted in 1839 as 'cottages and gardens in the village' occupied by 'paupers and others'. The proximity to the church suggests they were almshouses belonging to the parish (the owner is given as Mrs Sidney Maddocks of Pentre-mawr), perhaps continuing to be used for that purpose under the New Poor Law. In the 1874 map there appear to be 10 cottages in 3 groups, with a large area of allotment gardens to the rear. In 1881 this terrace was reduced from 3 cottages of about similar size to the present pair at the time of the construction of the adjacent Llandyrnog Cocoa and Reading Room (now the Community Council room).
This pair of cottages has retained much of its historical character.
A pair of 2-storey rendered and slate-roofed cottages, with a later building attached at left; they form the north side of a small square open to the village road. The cottage at right is double fronted but that at left is single fronted (probably reduced when the cocoa rooms were added). Shared chimney stack to left of centre, end-chimney stack at right, both in brickwork. Doors and windows renewed but in earlier openings. Upper windows against eaves, lower windows with cambered arch heads.
Single-storey extension at rear beneath a catslide roof, and with modern rear doors and windows.
Surviving cottages of a group of parish almshouses, listed also for group value with St. Tyrnog's church.
Other nearby listed buildings