This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1915 / 53°11'29"N
Longitude: -3.3515 / 3°21'5"W
OS Eastings: 309795
OS Northings: 366903
OS Grid: SJ097669
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.2VS5
Mapcode Global: WH772.H17M
Entry Name: Ty Brazier
Listing Date: 22 October 2002
Last Amended: 22 October 2002
Source ID: 27017
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At end of lane reached via Pentre-bach. There is original cobbled paving to the south-west of the house, which appears to have been side of the original road.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A farmhouse probably of c1600.
Ty Brazier is thought to derive its name from an early owner. The house is recorded in the Tithe Survey (1839) under the name Ty'r Brasher, within the estste of John Edward Maddocks, tenanted by Richard Roberts with about 43 acres (17.4 hectares).
A lobby-entrance 2-unit house facing south-west, with a gabled crosswing range at left extending back to provide an extra room to the rear. The house was later completely rendered, but much has recently been removed to expose the timber framing; it has substantial close-set vertical timbers, corner-braced at top. The right gable is still concealed externally, but internally it is seen to consist of diagonal square panels. Slate roof, central brick chimney. Modern doors and windows.
The house is nominally entered by its lobby, in which there are chamfered and stopped joists. This is now open to the room at left (the hall) but the doorway to the room at right (the parlour) has been blocked. The latter doorway is still seen on the parlour side, with its lintel soffit brought to a Tudor point. There is a massive central chimney with a big hearth on the hall side and a small hearth on the parlour side.
The hall is of 2 structural bays, separated by a massive chamfered main beam; the joists are laid flat. There is a storey-height blocked opening at rear of the hall with an ovolo moulding, perhaps related to the original stairs position. The modern stairs are in this left unit. Plain roof timbering above, so far as presently visible.
The parlour unit to the right is also of 2 bays, with a massive beam decorated with chamfers and tongue-stops; the joists here are also laid flat and chamfered with similar stops. Upstairs in this unit the mid truss is of lap-dovetailed collar beam type, with shaped struts above and chamfers beneath, showing that it was intended to be seen.
A good sub-mediaeval farmhouse which has retained substantial timber framing.
Other nearby listed buildings