This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7046 / 52°42'16"N
Longitude: -3.381 / 3°22'51"W
OS Eastings: 306784
OS Northings: 312776
OS Grid: SJ067127
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.2Q74
Mapcode Global: WH79D.188X
Entry Name: Mill Cottage including Old Corn Mill with Range to South and Sheds to East (Felin Dolonog)
Listing Date: 25 October 2002
Last Amended: 25 October 2002
Source ID: 27037
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 300 m east of St John's church, at south side of the minor road which passes through the farmyard.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The property was originally part of the Llwydiarth Estate, passing by marriage to the Wynns of Wynnstay. The farm group was originally two units, this building, which was a corn mill (for wheat, barley and oats, with an oatmeal kiln), to the south of the road and a separate fulling mill to the north, sharing the leat from the adjacent Afon Efyrnwy for water power.
The adjacent fulling mill fell into disuse by c.1800 but this, the corn mill, remained in production. It was worked in the early C19 by the Evans family, who occupied the nearby former fulling mill as their house. In 1841 the miller was named Hughes. William Evans became the miller in the mid C19, and the tenancy descended to the Jones family.
The cottage attached to this corn mill was known originally as Ty Felin. It is now known as Mill Cottage to distinguish it from the farmhouse. The farm including this property was bought from the Wynnstay estate in 1923 by General Jackson.
The old corn mill incorporates open-fronted sheds to east and a range to south which was probably the mill granary, later serving as a lofted cowhouse.
The main range (probably identifiable as the mill) is a north/south range of two storeys and an attic, in axe-dressed uncoursed and white painted stonework. The roof is of slate with a tile ridge and a small brickwork mid-chimney. Built with its back (west) to the mill leat bank, its front elevation is of two storeys and its rear of one storey.
The front elevation has two windows above and two windows flanking a door below (the openings of the windows to the right not aligned). The two upper windows and that at left of the door are small two-light casement windows. These and the door have segmental arches. The large window to the right of the door is a C19 insertion. The single-storey west elevation has a large central door and two small windows, all with arch heads. The north gable elevation has an attic window similar to the early one at front and a small ground storey window. The south gable elevation is unpainted, with the top part of the gable boarded and incorporating a hatch.
The east wing of this range (probably identifiable as the original miller's cottage) is in similar materials, white-painted on the north side only. Its front (north) elevation has a small two-light casement window above, a shuttered window below and a heck door close to the angle. At rear (south) it has been enlarged, and there is a rear door and blocked dormer window.
The range of two cartsheds is a lower extension to the east wing. This is open-fronted to the north with a post on a stone block. Similar materials, the east gable wall white painted, with a former loft window.
The long range which continues the main range southwards in tandem under a lower roof is in similar materials, unpainted. Boarded section at the junction with the main range both at front (east) and rear. The south end elevation is partly boarded, partly rebuilt in concrete blockwork.
The lower north/south range in this group has recently functioned as a cowhouse. The south bay is a stable with hayloft above.
Interior of mill and house not seen; pulley wheel (sack hoisting?) said to survive in roof of mill.
A good example of a corn mill, closely grouped with a neighbouring fulling mill; part of a considerable rural industrial property retaining strong industrial/vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings