This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7713 / 51°46'16"N
Longitude: -4.3924 / 4°23'32"W
OS Eastings: 235030
OS Northings: 210774
OS Grid: SN350107
Mapcode National: GBR DB.ZR4J
Mapcode Global: VH3LT.TR90
Entry Name: The Sticks Hotel
Listing Date: 5 November 2002
Last Amended: 5 November 2002
Source ID: 27070
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated directly N of the junction with Church Street, on the street line immediately E of Red Lion House.
Built-Up Area: Llansteffan
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Hotel, possibly C18 altered in C19. Formerly the Union Hall Inn, occupied by Griffith Davies in 1841, and Lettice Harries by 1861. Thomas Rees was keeping a hotel here in 1881. Repairs and improvements were made in 1885.
Hotel, painted stucco, three storeys, three-window range, offset from left. Gablets to eaves-breaking attic windows, pitched slate roofs and stone end stack to left. Centre 4-panel painted timber door with rectangular overlight, in raised rusticated stucco doorcase, with keystone. To left is 8-pane sash with painted slate sill. Similar openings to first floor left and centre. To right of entrance is tripartite 2-8-2-pane sash and matching window to first floor right. Upper storey has three stuccoed gables, each over eaves-breaking 4-pane small sashes with slate sills. Wide painted eaves board and cast iron rainwater goods. Raised plinth.
Added 2-storey range to right, painted render with plinth. Slate roof with slightly lower eaves. Double-fronted with tripartite C20 plate glass sashes each floor each side of C20 door. Extreme right has recessed door with overlight and first floor plate glass sash.
Mid C19 staircase visible on the ground floor, the remainder much altered.
Included as a good, substantial public house of C19 character, and for group value with Red Lion House.
Other nearby listed buildings