This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7662 / 51°45'58"N
Longitude: -4.4124 / 4°24'44"W
OS Eastings: 233629
OS Northings: 210260
OS Grid: SN336102
Mapcode National: GBR DB.ZS79
Mapcode Global: VH3LT.GVPW
Entry Name: Laques
Listing Date: 5 November 2002
Last Amended: 5 November 2002
Source ID: 27080
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at end of drive running SW off lane some 1.5 km W of Llansteffan
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The site was probably first occupied in the C15 by a family named Reed. The Lloyd family of Laques must have been well-established here by c1700, when they added a family chapel to the parish church. A monument there commemorates Rice Lloyd of this address, who was the first of the line to occupy Laques, which he purchased in 1616. He died in 1622. His son, Daniel, enlarged the house, and the older portions of the present house may date from that period. Sarah Lloyd, widow, was assessed at 5 hearths for this property for the Hearth Tax of 1670. "W. M. " was formerly marked on a datestone here, since removed. Rev William Lloyd of this address, died in 1703. The house was improved in 1763 by William Lloyd. An annexe, formerly a dairy, was added in 1842, but has now been substantially altered, including the installation of uPVC windows. It was sold in 1891 by John Francis - substantial gentry house on a roughly square plan. C17 build with additions of the C18 and C19 and some recent alterations. Stone construction with pitched, slated roofs. 2 storey, plus cellars. A projecting section contains the main entrance beneath a pair of oval stone plaques - one inscribed 'W/LL/S.1703', the other bearing a coat of arms.
Early C19 2-storey, 3-window rear in whitewashed rubble with 12-pane sashes having slightly cambered heads, stone voussoirs and slate sills throughout. Raised string course below ground floor sills. Cellarage openings just discernible beneath. Rainwater goods replaced in uPVC. Two-window range to E has evidence of large blocked archway to basement, near NE angle, stone voussoirs, below string course. 12-pane sashes to ground floor right and both first floor openings. Massive arched headed opening with stone voussoirs to ground floor left with large fanlight above paired panelled timber doors, reached by 6 concrete steps. Evidence of Later C20 alteration here, with narrow modern stone infill flanking door frame. Roof hipped to N, small rendered stack between bays. NW wall has blocked cellar door with stone voussoirs; string course level with arch spring. Blocked in rubble, partly obscured by later flight of external steps. Blocked window over. Connected single storey range to NW, much altered with uPVC to rainwater goods and all openings and modern imitation slate roof.
The oldest part of the house is the SW end, with the SE end probably added in the later C18. There is said to be a good dog-leg staircase of c.1703 running the full height of the house from basement to attic. Twisted balusters and closed string. There is also said to be good quality stucco and at least one quality C18 timber fireplace. Ground floor room to SE has massive fireplace and rough hewn ceiling beams. 1st floor room, W range, has large fielded panels and deeply moulded stucco cornice, all well-restored. Plasterwork of minimal character to N and E portions. Two small barrel-vaulted cellars beneath E range.
Included as a gentry house of C17 origins, retaining distinctive features.
Other nearby listed buildings