This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6418 / 51°38'30"N
Longitude: -2.6781 / 2°40'41"W
OS Eastings: 353175
OS Northings: 193888
OS Grid: ST531938
Mapcode National: GBR JM.7T7R
Mapcode Global: VH87M.JZLR
Entry Name: Castle Court
Listing Date: 12 November 2002
Last Amended: 12 November 2002
Source ID: 27104
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Between the Coach and Horses PH and the Boscobell House complex. Set back from the road behind a small walled and railed courtyard at different levels.
Community: Chepstow (Cas-gwent)
Built-Up Area: Chepstow
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Present appearance probably dates from c 1900 but with earlier origins. Shown roughly as at present on map of 1902. Formerly called The Cedars: a doctor's home in 1862 and a vicarage.
A tall detached former house in villa/Jacobean style, now a residential home. Rendered and painted with hipped Welsh slate roof with deeply overhanging sprocketed eaves and brick side stack. 3 storeys and basement. Windows have transoms and mullions, the upper lights with small-pane decorative leading. Three-window range, the central gabled section with continuous sprocketed eaves projects. Top floor has 4-light cross-framed windows to sides, 6-pane to centre. Bow windows at either side extending from first floor to basement flank the central bay under a continuous hood which forms a flat roof to the bows with egg and dart moulded cornice band below. First floor windows with one transom and ground floor bays with two; first floor window in central projecting bay has smaller side lights. Central doorway with deep decorative segmental-arched hood with painted detailing; door with semicircular overlight with radial glazing flanked by two 2-light windows with small pane upper lights, leaded quarries below; narrower side lights. Bow windows at basement have square lights at street level either side of the steps to the entrance. Half-hipped roofed garage bay projects to right
Listed for its unusual design and as part of the group extending from the Coach and Horses PH to Boscobell House. Group value with other listed buildings in Welsh Street.
Other nearby listed buildings