History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hardwick Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Chepstow, Monmouthshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.638 / 51°38'16"N

Longitude: -2.6776 / 2°40'39"W

OS Eastings: 353203

OS Northings: 193456

OS Grid: ST532934

Mapcode National: GBR JM.815L

Mapcode Global: VH87T.J3T5

Entry Name: Hardwick Cottage

Listing Date: 12 November 2002

Last Amended: 12 November 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 27117

Building Class: Domestic

Location: On the hillside roughly midway between Hardwick Hill at top and Rockwood Road at bottom, surrounded by a large garden.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Chepstow

Community: Chepstow (Cas-gwent)

Community: Chepstow

Built-Up Area: Chepstow

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Chepstow

History

Possibly associated with Hardwick House later renamed Hardwick Court built 1849, demolished 1900s. Close also to Ashfield House built 1830. Part of the early-mid C19 development of this hillside following the building of Mount Pleasant by the Chepstow Turnpike Trustees leading westwards out of the town. This house believed to have been built for the site-engineer of the Great Western Railway. Subsequently owned by a Mr Callaghan who had a small neighbourhood bank and then by Herbert Griffiths, who built the local department store, until it came to present owners.

Exterior

Detached house in late Regency lodge/cottage orne style. Roughcast with hipped pitched Welsh slate roof and tall angled paired brick lateral stacks. 2 storeys. Two-window range of small-pane cross-framed casements with decorative trellis surround; ground floor has canted bays with pitched slate roofs and small cross-framed multi-pane casements. Side entrance doorway with margin-glazed door. To rear a smoke-house for fish smoking, a brick vault and frontage to a rock-hewn chamber.

Interior

Rooms lead off a wide hall with Bathstone flags with black diamond inlay; open-well staircase and landing with stick balusters and wreathed handrail. Main downstairs fireplaces replaced but bedrooms retain plain classical fireplaces. Doors are all 4-panelled and retain all original fittings. Panelled reveals and shutters; elm floorboards to first floor, flags to ground floor..

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a picturesque, well-preserved C19 building with interesting associations.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.