This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7045 / 51°42'16"N
Longitude: -3.4439 / 3°26'37"W
OS Eastings: 300322
OS Northings: 201626
OS Grid: SO003016
Mapcode National: GBR HL.3SK1
Mapcode Global: VH6D3.8F75
Entry Name: Blaengwawr Farmhouse with attached farm range
Listing Date: 29 November 2002
Last Amended: 29 November 2002
Source ID: 80698
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Attached to the rear of Blaengwawr House, the double-pile side elevation now forming the main entrance from the farmyard.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Blaengwawr appears on Tithe Map of 1847 as 3 stepped wings with two farmyard buildings uphill to rear and without Blaengwawr House. By the time of the first OS map surveyed 1868, the development of House and farmyard to its present layout had taken place. Probably the farmhouse itself was extended at the same time. Source of stone was the nearby quarry. Gwawr meaning ''''dawn'''' probably refers to the valley''''s E-facing orientation, the farm complex facing predominantly SE. The same family have farmed here since 1903. The uses of the farmyard buildings throughout are as described by them, though there have probably been some changes since the buildings were originally planned and constructed. For this range, the linking bay was used as a saddle room and the end building was a hen-house. A well is sited by the house.
Farmhouse, attached at its side to Blaengwawr House. Built of limewashed stone with alterations and additions in brick; Welsh slate roof and brick stacks. 2 storeys. Double-pile plan with attached
farm-range to rear. Garden-facing frontage has a range of cambered-arched 6-pane sashes: 3 to first floor, 2 to ground floor either side of centre right doorway and further ground floor window to end bay left. The
farmyard facing elevation shows the two gable ends, taller and wider to rear with a 2-window range; one window in lower gable end. Attached is a single storey bay with blocked doorway linking the house with the two-storey farm range. This has two very small-pane windows to each storey and at ground level a range of 5 blocked arched openings in brick, formerly presumably used by hens. Gable end has a cambered arched doorway and window.
Interior is currently derelict; ground floor reported to be on 3 separate levels. Linking bay, the saddle room
had a fireplace, the flue incorporated into the hen-house, the interior of which is white-washed and lofted.
Listed as the central building of a mid C19 planned farmstead. Group value with Blaengwawr House.
Other nearby listed buildings