This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2628 / 53°15'46"N
Longitude: -3.4883 / 3°29'17"W
OS Eastings: 300823
OS Northings: 375015
OS Grid: SJ008750
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z2Q.L2
Mapcode Global: WH65H.D74Z
Entry Name: Bodelwyddan Park Wall with entrances and cottages
Listing Date: 6 December 2002
Last Amended: 6 December 2002
Source ID: 80736
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Surrounding Bodelwyddan Park on all sides, the N side extending from 29990.37536 to 30082.37526; the E side thence through 30077.37476 and 30086.37473 to 30061.37391; the S side thence to 29926.37406;
Locality: Bodelwyddan Park
Traditional County: Flintshire
A park enclosure wall built by Sir John Hay Williams in the period 1830-1842, contemporary with the castellated style refashioning of the Castle.
The N side of the rectangle and the present main gateway at the N of the W side were rebuilt in consequence of the construction of the A55 through the north edge of the park.
The wall is about 2m in height, of local axe-dressed limestone, with a large comb-coping of rough stones projecting on each side. The west-facing wall is in masonry brought to courses. The N side has been rebuilt following the line of the present A55 road.
The present main entrance from Engine Hill is not original, but an original entrance on the axis of the Hotel yard survives on the W side. Glascoed Lodge is integral with the wall. Other openings have square wall-piers with pyramid copings. Four-centred doorway arches at Bryn Celyn Lodge and Lodge Bach. The wall has been breached at Bryn Celyn, Lodge Bach, Cross Foxes and Gloddfa, but is otherwise remarkably complete. Mine Cottages at the W side are later, built into the wall: a pair of stone cottages in coursed limestone masonry, with slate roof, end chimneys, dormer windows of 6-panes with horned sashes, door and window joinery below restored.
A substantially complete boundary wall to the park of a great house, listed also for group value with Bodelwyddan Castle, St Margaret''s Church and the buildings of the model village of Bodelwyddan.
Other nearby listed buildings