This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.277 / 53°16'37"N
Longitude: -3.4727 / 3°28'21"W
OS Eastings: 301900
OS Northings: 376569
OS Grid: SJ019765
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z5K.Z0
Mapcode Global: WH659.MWKN
Entry Name: Coach House at Pengwern Hall with Outbuildings Range to W
Listing Date: 24 September 1951
Last Amended: 6 December 2002
Source ID: 80740
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At Pengwern Hall, about 20m SW of the main house.
Traditional County: Flintshire
The Coach House and its pair Georgian House are said to be dated 1770 on their rainwater heads. They relate formally to the site of the hall, where the predecessor of the present hall evidently stood.
The estate was then the property of Sir Edward Lloyd, Bart, who rebuilt the Hall in the 1780s and died in 1795. It later came into the ownership of the Williams family, baronets Bodelwyddan; Sir William Grenville Williams, fourth baronet, lived there until his death in 1904. Under his successor, Sir William Willoughby Williams, the Bodelwyddan property was broken up and Pengwern leased to Col Parry. It was later leased by J H Wynne, and finally bought by Miss Long for a girls'' school. After the closing of the school in 1948 the property fell into decay until taken over by the Society for Mentally Handicapped Children in 1966.
The Coach House and Georgian House are similar buildings intended to frame the forecourt of Pengwern Hall, but they are not quite parallel to eachother; by being built on slightly converging lines, they were probably intended to enhance the theatrical presence of the Hall which was their contemporary (a principle of Baroque planning).
The Coach House is of 2-storeys and 5-windows, in Flemish bond brickwork with stone dressings, on a coarsely rendered and white painted plinth; a hipped slate roof with metal ridge and hip covers, and an hexagonal domed cupola. The centre bay is slighly advanced and is pedimented, with a small attic lunette. The doors and windows are fully stone dressed, the lower windows including a pulvinated frieze and cornice, the door with the same plus a pediment. Double main doors with iron studs. Six-pane hornless sash-windows above (that at centre is a 4-pane casement window), 12-pane similar below (one window is a similarly proportioned light with top-hung opener).
The rear wing is a 10-bay range facing S, with the central 3-bays pedimented. Similar brickwork and stone dressings, slate roof with tile ridge. There a is one-bay return south at the W extremity to abut the farm buildings. Altered doors and windows, including at rear.
A fine late Georgian outbuilding to an important mansion, retaining many original features, and playing an important part in the architectural setting of the Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings