This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2593 / 53°15'33"N
Longitude: -3.5034 / 3°30'12"W
OS Eastings: 299810
OS Northings: 374645
OS Grid: SH998746
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZZR.BB
Mapcode Global: WH65H.4BZP
Entry Name: Obelisk in Bodelwyddan Castle Garden
Listing Date: 6 December 2002
Last Amended: 6 December 2002
Source ID: 80752
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: About 200m SW of Bodelwyddan Castle, on lawn to the E of the Walled Garden.
Locality: Bodelwyddan Castle
Traditional County: Flintshire
At first this obelisk was erected in 1837 by Sir John Hay Williams in honour of his parents; it was also used in 1857 in memory of his brother-in-law by Hugh, 3rd baronet Bodelwyddan. It stood at the edge of woodlands overlooking the castle. It was removed to its present location in 1990.
The 1857 inscription records ''''the unvarying kindness and interest to this place of the late Henry Peyto Verney 8th Lord Willoughby de Broke'''' (d1852). The overstretched Bodelwyddan fortune was rescued when Margaret, sister of the 3rd baronet, married into the wealth of the Willoughby de Broke family of Compton Verney, Warwickshire. After her husband Lord Willoughby de Broke''s death Lady Margaret spent copiously on Bodelwyddan estate improvements including most notably the Marble Church, despite opposition from her late husband''s family.
A limestone obelisk about 5m in height, including an inscribed pedestal. Simply moulded plinth and cornice to the pedestal. The main inscription commemorates the 8th Lord Willoughby de Broke''s interest in the castle and estate leading to considerable improvements under his widow, Lady Margaret. Floral carved band around the mid height of the obelisk with family names.
Listed as a fine commemorative obelisk which is an important feature of the garden at Bodelwyddan.
Other nearby listed buildings