This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.751 / 51°45'3"N
Longitude: -3.4 / 3°23'59"W
OS Eastings: 303455
OS Northings: 206743
OS Grid: SO034067
Mapcode National: GBR HM.0ZFH
Mapcode Global: VH6CY.07XZ
Entry Name: No 16 Gelli-deg,,,,,,
Listing Date: 1 June 1989
Last Amended: 19 December 2002
Source ID: 80768
Location: Situated to the N of Swansea Road some 200m NW of its roundabout junction with the A470. The site is some 400m W of the site of the Cyfarthfa blast furnaces.
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Cottage in one of 2 rows of early industrial workers'' housing complete by 1797, and thus, although altered since, among the earliest surviving in the region. The site is some 400m W of the site of the Cyfarthfa blast furnaces, built 1765. Ty Issa farmhouse is mentioned in a lease of 1794 to Anthony Bacon of the ironworks and it was to this house that the cottages were added. Thomas James was paid £298/9/6d (£298.48) for new houses in Gelli-deg in 1797 but this may refer to the second row Nos 23-28 and Nos 15-21 could be earlier. It is suggested that No 15 is the pre-industrial farmhouse, perhaps mid C18 and that 6 industrial cottages were added in 2 stages. No 15 itself may be a composite of a single room cottage to right to which a larger house 2-storey 3-bay farmhouse was added (but the continuous rear stonework does not support this). The farmhouse was later subdivided into 2, the one-bay upper end with entry from the back becoming one cottage (now part of No 16). To this were added 3 one-room 2-storey cottages, now Nos 16 and 17 (No 17 now including No 18), internally of a single-room each floor, perhaps with a partitioned pantry to the rear, marked by small rear opening. Then a further 3 were added, now Nos 19 and 21, as 21 includes No 20, these had 2 small partitioned spaces at the back and thus 2 small rear windows. None of these houses had the typical catslide roofs over outshuts noted in Welsh industrial workers'' housing of the early C19, though the altered row Nos 23-28 did.
In 1930 it was said that No 15 had once been a public house.
One bay of No 16 is the left bay of what appears to be a 2-storey 3-bay farmhouse originally with end stacks, the left end one gone. Painted stucco with raised surrounds to openings and slate roof. Window is 2-pane sash to ground floor left, door is C20. Rear wall of painted rubble stone with large boulders at base. Rendered section with door to right, inserted to give access to the cottage made of the upper end, now part of No 16, and then lean-to pantry with catslide roof continued down over. Upstairs is one small 4-pane casement window over door.
The first block of 3 cottages, now main part of No 16 and No 17 is painted rendered with slate roof and 2 stacks, one between Nos 16 and 17, the other at left end. Eaves and ridge line higher than earlier building to right. The cottages originally had one-window range, with small window under eaves, larger below and door to one side, No 16 has door to left of windows, the other 2 had 2 doors paired, between windows, door to No 17 survives, door to No 18 now a window. Glazing is plastic to No 16, replacing sashes, C20 door. Rendered rear wall has inserted C20 window to ground floor.
Interior not available for inspection. In 1988 the old farmhouse (now part of no 16) had oak double-purlin roofs with pegged collar trusses. There was a lobby entry by the right gable next to the large fireplace. The partition now dividing Nos 15 and 16 was of stone only on the ground floor and not tied-in, the stairs were against the partition to the rear. There were oak floor beams at 1.2 m intervals.
Only No 16 was inspected of the original Nos 16-18 and it had a one-room plan probably with ladder or steep step access to upper room. Joisted floors, the joists axial, and ground floor flagstones.
Listed as part of the oldest industrial workers'' housing surviving in the Merthyr area, which includes a range that predates the nearby Cyfarthfa ironworks.
Other nearby listed buildings