This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.745 / 51°44'42"N
Longitude: -3.392 / 3°23'31"W
OS Eastings: 303993
OS Northings: 206061
OS Grid: SO039060
Mapcode National: GBR HN.17HR
Mapcode Global: VH6CY.5D4M
Entry Name: Nos 3-4 Uppier Colliers Row,,,,,,
Listing Date: 22 August 1975
Last Amended: 19 December 2002
Source ID: 80775
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated SE of Heolgerrig, some 500m W of the remains of the Ynysfach Iron Works and just W of the A470.
County: Merthyr Tydfil
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Pair of cottages in a row of early C19 industrial workers'' houses with catslide roofs to rear, typical of industrial housing of the period. Since 1975 all have been thoroughly altered, but they remain one of the very few early rows to survive in the Merthyr region. The row is shown on surveyors'' drawings of 1814 and 1826 and detailed on subsequent 6" OS maps from 1875 onwards. The cottages were part of the Dynevor Estate during the C19, housing colliers working the Cyfarthfa mines but the roadway before the houses originally lead to the Ynysfach Iron Works (established in 1801) and it is possible that some of the inhabitants worked there. Certainly, it was conveniently located adjacent to both the Cyfarthfa Canal basin at Llwyn-celyn and the Cyfarthfa Tramway.
Originally the cottages were of stone with stone heads to openings, stone-slab roofs and stone chimneys, one-window and door (Nos 2 and 7 are now 2-window) with small upper windows and probably sash glazing. The upper window heads were under the eaves. The interiors had joisted floors rather than beams with thin joists, the fireplaces had winding staircases adjacent, of stone or timber.
Nos 3 and 4 are joined, painted rubble stone with rendered left stack and stone right stack (shared with Nos 3 and 6), mirrored pair with much-enlarged left window to ground floor of No 3, blocked door to No 3 within long C20 porch to door to No 4. Ground floor window of No 4 set slightly further in than window above. Late C20 glazing.
Not available for inspection. It is said that the interior has joisted floors, fireplaces to left and right with winding staircases adjacent, timber to No 3 and stone to No 4.
Included notwithstanding modern alterations as part of one of the last surviving rows of industrial workers'' houses in the Merthyr region.
Other nearby listed buildings